Saturday, September 10, 2011

Scurry Curry


Indian Food is not, in my opinion, without curry.

Personally I've always loved the smell of the Indian spices...Including curry.
I would be one of those food crazed people that would wander around Penzey's spices sniffing all that I could...And the Indian spices were what got to me the most.

Why?

Studies have shown that when you smell something, it reaches your taste buds and goes to your brain...And yes, I am talking in a 'gist' kind of form.

The smell of curry warmed my tongue.  Warmed my senses.
Not so much in the way that it was hot, but more so in the sense that it was a very warm embrace.

I have adapted the recipe from Elise at Simply Recipes


Lamb Curry Recipe
Cook time: 3 hours
INGREDIENTS
2 lamb shanks AND 2 lamb shoulder steaks (yielding about 2 lbs of meat without the bone)
**I had used 2 lamb shanks and used a 1 lb of goat leg meat**
1 large onions, chopped, about 3 1/2 cups
3-5 cloves of garlic, crushed
2-3 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter) or 1 Tbsp olive oil with butter
2-3 Tbsp curry powder
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped**
1 tsp thyme, dried**
**I had since I did not have any rosemary or thyme I had subbed it with Herbes De Provence**
1/2 Meyer lemon sliced (with rind)  **Did not include the lemon however I used some lemon juice**
2 peeled and chopped apples (tart green granny smith if possible), about 2 cups
1/4 cup of raisins (my addition to Maria's recipe)  **Did not use raisins**
1 1/2 cups chicken broth*  **Subbed the chicken broth for some homemade duck broth that I had**
8-12 small potatoes, quartered, about 1 1/2 pounds
Chutney, yogurt, rice
*If cooking gluten-free, use homemade chicken stock or gluten-free packaged broth.
METHOD
1 Preheat oven to 300° F. On stovetop, add the ghee or the butter-and-oil mixture to a large covered pot or Dutch oven and turn the burner to medium-high. Brown the meat well and remove it from pan.
2 Add curry powder to the ghee or oil, turn the heat down to medium and cook gently for a minute or two. Add onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes. Return lamb to pan.
3 Add coriander, black pepper, cumin, rosemary, thyme, sliced lemon, apples, raisins, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Cover the pot and put it in the oven. Cook for 2 hours. Check at 2 hours to see if the meat is falling off the bone. It should be starting to do so. Add the potatoes and cook for another 45 minutes.  **I had cooked this for approx.  6 hours…That was when it was fall off the bone tender**
4 To serve, you can pull the meat off the bones or leave it on. Taste for salt and add some more curry powder or cayenne if you want things spicier. Serve over rice with chutney and yogurt.
Yield: Serves 6

**I also added extra Madras Curry**

No comments:

Post a Comment