Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sardines

I haven't had the greatest relationship with sardines.

The first time that I was introduced to them (that I can recall) was when I had dated a guy that wished to indulge me in what he thought were indulgences.  One of which was sardines.  The ones he liked were in the can from your local grocery store.

I do recall trying them but clearly the taste wasn't memorable (or the event).

I also read where Alton Brown liked trying them over toast with avocado and a sprinkle of salt.

So one day....I figured that since I had sardines in my cupboard why not give it a shot.

The first time I tried it...For the heck of it....I put it in an omelette.

Haha...That didn't work so well.  All I did was fluff the eggs, put some chopped mushrooms and some chopped baby spinach down...Then the sardines...Followed by the eggs.  Did not work so well.  Plus my place had that slight smell of fish.

This time, I went ahead and did a simplified version of Alton Brown's sardine-avocado sandwich.

Considering I had some leftover Hawaiian dinner buns left I went ahead and defrosted those....Spread some avocado that was doused with lemon on top and placed the sardines on top of the dinner buns that I had sliced in half.

On the first bite....It tasted exactly like rich canned tuna.

Would I eat it again?  Ehhhh.....No.  I'll save the day for when I have a 'top of the line canned sardine' and give that shot.  Until then, I'll let my cat have it.

 Alton Brown's Sardine-Avocado Sandwich

1 comment:

  1. oh bummer. i adore sardines, i grew up with the kind in tomato sauce... and since living with my spanish roomate have learned to appreciate them in olive oil. i've had it the way alton brown likes it, with a fried egg on top, in rice pourridge, with rice, with bread. with pasta.

    at least you gave it a try ... multiple times.

    ReplyDelete