Saturday, December 24, 2011

On the Experimentation of Duck Breasts


I've never been very good at making duck breasts just 'right'.  The skin always came out too chewy or I would over cook it.  So this time around, I decided to do something completely different.

I knew that when it came to dry brining any poultry that the skin would have this wonderful crisp texture to it once it was cooked and/or baked.  

Now while I realize that duck isn't just any type of poultry...I'd figure I'd give it a shot, considering the past times I've tried to cook it I'd never brine it.  I would, for the most part, leave it at room temp for awhile, and cook skin side down for a few minutes (on a cast iron skillet....With the skin scored)...and then flip to the other...And on more than on occasion I would pop it in the oven for a few minutes.

This time around...I scored it, brined it in salt (covered it with salt), and let it sit in the fridge for a few days.  I also wanted to leave it rather 'simple' due to the fact that this was, in fact, an experiment of sorts.

Once I was ready to cook it, I put it into room temperature for at the very least, a half hour, had the heat on my gas stove for approximately low to medium....Once the iron skillet was warm enough I put the duck breasts skin side down.....I let it simmer and pop for a good 5 minutes.  I then switched it up and let it cook meat side down for a good 4 minutes....I let the meat rest for about a minute and then I sliced.

It came out perfectly.  The skin on the duck was brown and crisp and the meat was done on a perfect medium....Right where it should be.   As game meat should never be cooked well done.  

I may try to utilize a version of this technique more often, no need to mention that practice also makes perfect.

As for the breasts out of this experiment?  They were eaten cold (after being cooked) and dipped in leftover honey barbecue sauce.  

Yum.

3 comments: